AGE : the unsung hero

I turned 60 on July 12 and I had a blast - birthdays are the best! A new beginning, the cycle of life completing its circuit of 365 days around our Sun. 


Each year is a bonus and a blessing and yet few people look forward to ageing. Added years are equated with growing older. So focused on old, few are grateful for the growth. Why is that?

My maternal grandmother died in 1964 and my mother was 31 then and I was ten. My childhood memory captures them as way older than I'm feeling today. Why is that? 

Here in the USA, the government has an administration on aging, a national institute on aging, and the Center for Disease Control tracks the state of aging in America.

The AARP organization offers citizens 50 years and older helpful tips, networking, and support even if the official retirement age is 65. They even have a whole branch dedicated to disrupting aging.

Why do we focus on keeping age at bay when aging is the ultimate gift not too many end up blessed with?

Are we so occupied with running away from it that we are not around to live our lives fully? What would it take to be present in our own lives? In order to truly live well and fully? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tambanokano | the titan crab

impUNITY

state of grace